Hello there Mrs Vannet and pupils of the HSofD Iceland '08 GeographyGroup. Well, the summer of 2008 is shaping up to be as good as it was in 2007 (fingers crossed it lasts till August). The Jet Stream seems to be pushing all the depressions the way of the UK whilst Iceland enjoys wonderful summer weather (as bright by night as it is by day! - bring eyeshades for sleeping). Today must have been one of the best of the year so far; as the sun begins to lower in the sky (at 22.30) the icecaps are glistening and seem so close as to be able to touch them from your August"base"; you'll have quite a backdrop for your evening football kickarounds, that's for sure. Our groups are having outstanding tours; they are experiencing the many wonders of Iceland and are so positive and receptive to nature in all its forms. The "wow" word is often being heard, involuntarily; it's inevitable!
I have just been field study tutor to StIvo School, Cambrideshire; they were a wonderful group of young people (as were the slightly older staff!). They really "got" Iceland and I am delighted to have been able to introduce them to this awesome country. I hope you are looking forward to your own tour. Your itinerary is terrific and you will experience a wide variety of spectacular landscapes and landforms; bring plenty camera memory as well as plenty battery power. OK, I'd better go and pull down my blackout blind in order to get some sleep. I'll try to drop another note if my sunbathing schedule allows it! (but,don't worry, Iceland is amazing in ANY weather; trust me!). Ian.
And here is what Ian is describing. I took this pic from our accommodation two years ago. It shows the nearest ice cap glistening in the morning sunshine - Eyafjallajokul which, believe it or not is almost 30 miles away is and a good bit higher than Ben Nevis.!

On the subject of school groups, some of you may remember that back in October we had a lunchtime meeting which was attended by another friend of mine, a teacher from Cambridge who had been to Iceland with a group last summer. We looked at a presentation of his photos. Well, it's a small world because he was a staff member of the St Ivo group which Ian refers to. he has just returned from Iceland and I'm hoping he may send me a report which I can relay to you on the blog. Watch this space!.

No comments:
Post a Comment