Thursday, May 29, 2008

Earthquake in Iceland

A powerful earthquake (6.1 on the Richter scale) has shaken the part of Iceland we will be visiting in the summer. I am torn between being relieved that it has happened now and disappointed that I haven't experienced it!


The epicentre of the 'quake, which happened just a few hours ago, was at Selfoss which is only a short drive from where we will be staying at Hvollsvollur. The BBC news website is already carrying a good report about the earthquake including video footage. You can link to it by clicking on the map on the left.

You can read some more reports here and here.


If you follow the link below, it will take you to a posting about Icelandic earthquakes which I put on the blog about a year ago.

http://hsdiceland.blogspot.com/2006/06/icelandic-earthquakes.html . One of the links on that posting is to the Iceland Meteorological Office who produce daily maps of seismic activity on Iceland. Here is the one for today.......
The red dots show recent low grade seismic activity while the green stars show earthquakes which are greater than Richter Scale 3.

No comments: