Thursday, October 11, 2007

The months are in single figures - at last!

When we were planning our next fieldtrip to Iceland way back in March, August 2008 seemed a very long way off. The months are now into single figures and we can start indulging the anticipation!

Over the coming months, I'd like you to get into the habit of checking the blog regularly as I will be using it to send information to both you and your parents. It is also the place where I will post information about Iceland - to whet your appetites for our adventure together next summer.

Let us start with this photo taken by my good friend Ian Hardie who used to be a Geography teacher in Stonehaven and now works for Rayburn Tours and lives half of the year in Iceland. He took it as he was flying out to Iceland during the summer....
What you can see is an island which didn't exist when I was born! In fact, it didn't even exist when I went to school so yes, I am really very old.
The island you can see is Surtsey which lies off the south coast of Iceland. If we are very lucky we might fly over it next August and get a view like this one. However, even if we don't, we will probably see it when we fly to the Westman islands. Here is a view of Surtsey taken when we were there in 2006 (it's the one on the horizon, viwed here from the little airstrip in Heimaey which we will fly into)...
I think it is quite amazing that island is younger than me! The story of Surtsey is equally amazing and you can read all about it by clicking on the photo above. There is also a good account here and here .

Ian tells me that there is a wonderful interactive exhibition about Surtsey in the Icelandic Institute of Natural History which opened in May of this year and will still be running next summer. Hopefully, we will manage to see it. There is a very good description of the exhibition which you can link to here and from that website you can sneak a peek at some of the video footage on view.

P.S. Don't forget to scroll down through the older postings on the blog to get a flavour of the trip we will be taking next summer.

No comments: